Think about the following
- Why did you choose this response time? Have you had similar cases in the past and what factors did you consider when deciding on a time frame?
- What could Raissa need to support her through the criminal and family court processes?
- What are some of the life stressors that are going to be impacting Raissa over the next several months? What supports does she need (e.g. immigration status, income support, child care, pre-natal care)?
- What does the research indicate are the most effective supports? Does this correspond with Raissa’s needs?
- What other information do you need to formulate your assessment?
- How might Markus’ hopes and plans be different than Raissa’s? If they are different, what is Markus doing to prevent future violence and change his behaviour?
You decide to call Raissa and attend her home the following morning.
You meet with Raissa and Regan. Raissa shares that this is not the first time that Markus has hit/hurt her. Markus is not Regan’s father and Raissa plans no further contact between him and Regan. Raissa has no plans to re-unite and will begin family court proceedings to deal with contact between Markus and the new baby.